Login to your account

Lost your password?

Dividends, options can help you beat IRA contribution limits

We all want to do our best to plan for the future. Whether it is saving for a child’s college, or putting away some cash for retirement or a rainy day, we want to get the most from our savings.

For most of us, the best way to plan for retirement is with an IRA. There are several different types of IRAs, but the two you will most often hear about are the traditional IRA and the Roth IRA.

First, let’s look at the difference between in the two types of IRAs.

Traditional IRA: In the traditional IRA, income you invest into the IRA is tax deductible, and you earnings grow tax-free until you take the money out down the road, at which point the money will be taxed at your ordinary tax rate.

Roth IRA: Unlike a traditional IRA, contributions made into a Roth IRA are not tax deductible. The difference is that when you withdraw the money in the future, assuming it has been open over 5 years and you are older than 59 ½, the money, and earnings are tax-free.

One thing to remember is that in both cases, you are looking at a 10% penalty if you pull out the money early.

For both traditional and Roth IRAs, the 2012 limit on the amount you are able to contribute is $5,000, but that number will increase to $5,500 in 2013. For many of us, that is as much or more than we would contribute anyway. For some there is the desire and ability to contribute more than $5,500 a year to an IRAs. While that's not actually allowed, there are a couple of ways to generate extra cash in your account without going over the contribution limit.

Michael Fowlkes

Michael Fowlkes is a financial writer who has been with the Fresh Brewed Media family since 2004. Over the course of his tenure with Fresh Brewed Media, he has worn many hats, including portfolio manager, options analyst, and writer. Michael received his undergraduate degree from Virginia Tech in Accounting and got his start in finance working as a stock trader for six years at Chase Investment Counsel in Charlottesville, Va.